Thursday, January 21, 2010

Siena Book Show!

So we had the Siena Book Arts show last Friday night! Perhaps you recall the very reason for this blog? That is, my learnings of book making in Siena, Italy this past summer? Well, I am proud to say that my first official arty show was a success! Here are some photos of the evening, courtesy of Sonya.



Naomi. Small Japanese lady in the background. Professor/book master. Stressed, but still talkative.

Bowie and Alexa poking around.

Megan and her calloused fingers.

David and his accordion book.

Close up of one of my altered-books.

My three submissions were all my own tributes to Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. This one depicts a scene between May Kasahara and the Narrator by the well.

Close up of my second book.

This one interprets the quote "Kumiko and I felt something for each other from the very beginning" and is an altered book of hymns I found at Value Village.



My third book.

It's a 5ft. long accordion book and reflects May Kasahara's letter to the Narrator that begins, "(Hint) You can figure out where I am if you think about it really, really hard."

Also, a BIG shoutout to one Mr. Otto Semet for driving me up to Seattle at the crack of dawn to turn them in. (Whoops, m'bad). And my mom, because this was a great stress on the household.

Come see the show if you haven't already!

-sem

4 comments:

  1. um these are amazing!!! wish i could have been there for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Mads! That is really impressive...Beautiful works of art, i want to see more.

    ReplyDelete